Best Mountain Bike Stems Review for Money in 2017
Mountain biking is very popular among the folks in the US. It has been around for some time now. Almost 40 million people annually join the merry band of bike riders, who are not afraid to test their abilities off-road. With such heavy masses moving towards this trend, the need for mountain bike stems is increasing day by day. As a result, we are here today, to introduce you to the best mountain bike stems you can currently find.
For those of you who do not know what a bike stem is, it is nothing to be ashamed about, as we will clear it up for you. A bike stem is unusually a connector which connects the handlebars of your bike to the steering tube, which is attached to a fork. It certainly has a couple of handy features, like helping you to adjust the height of your seat, or to find out the suitable position for reaching the handle.
Shopping for the best mountain bike stems is quite a hassle, especially if you don’t know what you are doing. Therefore, we have taken it upon ourselves to help you make the right decision.
As promised, we will showcase some of the products that we think are worthy of having a look. We have gone through a good number of products, mind you, to make a list of the best bike stems, keeping your needs in mind. Moreover, our Jolly group of experts has suggested these products after some pretty extensive research. We are quite committed and assure you that our unbiased reviews will guide you to make the right choice.
So, let us jump right in and start our adventure!
Do You Need to Upgrade Your Mountain Bike Stem?
If you are buying a bike to rule the mountains, you are spending a good amount of money. So, why not stick to the stock stem that came pre-installed with the bike.
The stem that came with your bike is ok, but if you look at the big picture, you will notice that something is wrong.
There are several small issues like height and length adjustments, design and much more. So, if they do not match your comfort zone, then it may make you suffer, both mentally and physically.
As a result, we would advise you to get a bike stem that suits your needs. In the next section, we will have an in-depth discussion about the features a right bike stem has. It will make your life a lot easier.
Choosing The Right Stems: Which One is The Best for You?
In this section, we will discuss the things you need to keep in mind to get the best bang for your buck. The following few statements are quite important to consider. If you ignore these, you are most likely to end up with a bad product which you may end up throwing away.
The length of the Stem:
It is one of the most crucial things to consider when you are shopping in the market for a stem. The importance of such a factor cannot be neglected. Here’s why.
The stem length is the deciding factor of your bike’s stability and control. The shorter the length, the smoother the ride. But does that mean that you should just go ahead and get a stem with an unusual length?
It is not that simple. For instance, if you are riding down from a rough terrain and the stem length is not correct, then you may run into some issues. The ideal stem length should be around 50mm to 80mm.
A small yet important note to be mentioned here. The handlebar length of a bike is quite important to keep in mind. It is best if you maintain a ratio in your bikes stem length and handlebar length. For instance, if you have a stem of 60-70mm, you should consider getting handlebars of about 720mm. Take note; this may not be suitable for certain riders.
Rise or Angle of the Stem:
The rise or angle of the stem means by how many angles the stem is bent. How much rise is needed is completely a personal matter. It is solely dependent on the preferences of the rider. But a 5 to 6-degree rise may be a decent starting point for many.
Bar Diameter and Construction:
The bar diameter is not something to budge about unless you are dead serious about what you are getting. The typical standard diameter is about 35mm, which is taken as a new standard by many manufacturers.
If you are very much concerned about the longevity of your purchase, you should consider CNC made stems. They are strong and durable. But if you are opting for a budget option, an aluminum stem will serve you just fine.
These are the few points you need to keep in mind when shopping for a mountain bike stem. These important considerations will help you choose the best mountain bike stem you can find.
BEST MOUNTAIN BIKE STEMS: PRODUCT REVIEWS
The Truvativ 40 0-Degree 42 Height 31.8 1-1/8 Hussefelt Stem is the first product which we are about to have a look.
The color scheme of the product is quite appealing. Also, it features a heavy duty build quality, offering robust and durable performance for tough riders.
- The forged 6061 Aluminum construction gives it a premium feel. The build quality is beyond any question.
- It has a weight of 203 grams (for the 40mm length stem), featuring CrMo bolts.
- The product also features 4-bolt faceplate and a 2-bolt steerer clamp for better performance.
- It has a solid and durable build quality.
- It is an excellent choice for riders streaking downhill or for free riding.
- The stem helps you maintain a rigid upward stance, which is suitable for most riders.
- It is a bit on the heavier side for some riders.
- The stiff fittings may make it a bit harder for installation.
The Truvativ 40 0-Degree 42 Height 31.8 1-1/8 Hussefelt Stem is definitely a fine choice for any mountain rider. The stiff and true stem is worth a look.
Follow the link to check out the product.
2 OF 10
The Race Face Respond Mountain Bike Stem is the second product in our list. The product has different variants for those who are looking for something extra. We are taking the 31.8mm clamp with a 10-degree rise and 45mm length for our review. For a regular rider, who is not afraid of challenges, it is a perfect fit.
- The forged aluminum 6061 construction gives it a solid foundation. It offers strength durability and a decent adjusted weight.
- It has a 4-bolt bar clamp for securing the stem with rigidity.
- The 195-gram product comes with a robust faceplate to prevent any damage to the handlebars.
- It features a U-shaped clamp for the handlebar for maximum efficiency and durability.
- The product is well-built and offers good control.
- It has a decent weight and secure design.
- The weight and stiffness may not be suited for some riders. But they depend on the rider’s choice.
The product offers two things, good looks, and impressive build.
We would recommend it any day to any buyer. It is truly worthy of occupying a spot in our review.
Check it out at this link.
3 OF 10
The Race Face Ride Mountain Bike Stem with 60×31.8mm Clamp has made its way into our list because of its superior build quality and amazing looks. The product is meant for the adventurous folks out there.
- The strong aluminum 6061 construction offers a premium experience.
- The product has a 4-clamp design for superior control while you are riding on a rough terrain.
- Reasonable weight and structure for resistance against fatigue and stress.
- The product is built with quality materials.
- It offers great support for riders of all classes especially mountain riders who need something more.
- The only flaw with this product is that it does not come with a top cap. It is the only flaw that may not satisfy some riders.
The Race Face Ride Mountain Bike Stem (60×31.8mm) is an excellent choice for the mountain bikers. It not only comes with standard measurements but does also come with a decent set of features. We would encourage our riders to have a look at the product.
Please check it out by following this link.
4 OF 10
The Truvativ Stylo T20 Bicycle Stem is number four on our list of the best mountain bike stem.
The product comes in a variety of specifications, but we have chosen to review the 90mm model with a 5-degree rise.
Of course, all the varieties of the product come with the same set of robust features.
- The product material is forged aluminum 6061. So, the build quality is phenomenal as usual.
- The CrMo bolts offer additional sustainability.
- The product comes with a variety of specs. So, you have enough options to get the right stem for your bike.
- The product has a build quality solid enough to handle anything you through at it.
- The weight is just right for any rider.
- There is nothing quite bad to say about this product. But unfortunately, it has only one color variant.
Truvativ Stylo T20 Bicycle Stem is an excellent choice for mountain riders who are not afraid to pull the breaks on their adventures. We highly recommend it for the bike fanatics out there.
Check this product out at this link.
5 OF 10
The Race Face Atlas Mountain Bike Stem is one of our choices because it is a true bike stem.
We are reviewing the product variant that has a 65mm stem length with a handlebar length of 31.8mm, which has become a standard for the enthusiast cyclists out there.
- The material choice for this product is 6061 aluminum, which is solid.
- It comes in two color variants.
- It has a four bolt clamp for additional security for the handlebars.
- The included faceplate reduces the chances of damage to your handlebars.
- The products clamping power is good. So, superior control is ensured.
- Build quality ensures superior stress release capabilities.
- The product offers great functionality for mountain bikers.
- Some may opt for a 2-clamp design, which may not be available.
The Race Face Atlas Mountain Bike Stem is versatile for many reasons. The product has the nice build quality and comes with a variety of options. It is recommended for our conscious riders out there.
Check out the link for more info.
6 OF 10
Because of the robust set of features, it is something worth having a look for the enthusiastic folks who love challenges.
- The product has a standard length of 31.8mm (for handlebars). The stem length comes in different varieties.
- It has a solid aluminum construction with zero degrees rise.
- The product comes at a decent weight.
- The solid aluminum construction of the product using the 6066-grade aluminum is just right.
- The product is CNC machined. So, durability is top-notch.
- It is available with both 2-bolt and 4-bolt steering clamps.
- The product may not be available in other colors variants.
The Truvativ Holzfeller Bicycle Stem (50mm) is a wonderful stem that offers better performance. The rigid construction and added features make it a perfect contender. Mountain riders should have a look at the product.
Check out this product at this link.
7 OF 10
The Origin8 Pro Fit ATB Stem (90mm) is something I wanted to be in higher ranking of our list. But some other models except the 90mm didn’t receive that much appreciations from the customers.
We are reviewing the 90mm model in this case. Of course, the features are all there. This product is a must have item for lightweight riders who do not want to break the bank.
- It comes with a 180mm stem.
- It has a solid aluminum construction for durability.
- The product has a decent weight and structure.
- It Comes with EN MTN safety certification.
- The product comes with a 4-bolt steering clamp.
- The construction is decent.
- The 1-inch fork diameter and a 25-degree angle are decent for some riders.
- The product has some minor issues with assembly.
The Origin8 Pro Fit ATB Stem (90mm) is a decent stem to go with for heavy use. This product does not disappoint and comes with a good range of features. Interested riders should have a look at it.
Here is the link to follow.
8 OF 10
The Ritchey Pro 30 Degree Road/Mountain Bicycle Stem (31.8 x 120mm) is number eight on our top ten list for the best mountain bike stem.
This robust stem is well-constructed and has a handsome set of features.
The feature set is well-suited for the rider’s needs.
- It has a solid aluminum (6061) construction for a solid feel.
- he product comes with a Z-clamp (4-bolt) for better stress management.
- The stack is 45mm high and has a decent weight of 150 grams.
- The product has a solid and robust construction.
- The 4-bolt clamp is perfect for a rigid and controlled ride.
- It has a good weight to it.
- The product has some cosmetic issues.
- The products rigidity may cause some problems.
The Ritchey Pro 30 Degree Road/Mountain Bicycle Stem (31.8 x 120mm) is a decent choice for riders who are not afraid to tread on rough lands. We recommend the buyers for a better look at the product.
Go to this link for more info.
9 OF 10
This robust product is well-built and has a nice set of features. The feature set is well enough for the rough riders out there who do not quit!
- It has a solid aluminum 6061 construction for a premium feel.
- The product comes in a variety of options for the rider to choose.
- It has a 17-degree rise with the stack height of 40mm.
- The weight balance of the product is ok for most riders.
- The product has a rigid and true construction for better stability.
- There are a lot of options to choose.
- It has a decent look which will appeal many riders.
- The product may not be well suited for some riders as reports show that some riders tend to damage the handlebars.
The Control Tech One 5-Degree Road/Mountain Bike Stem (80mm) is a solid choice for riders who are not afraid to tread on rough mountainous terrains. It may have some flaws, but we recommend it for your preference.
Go to this link to check it out.
10 OF 10
The product comes with great offerings and will satisfy any rider.
The product is meant for the extreme riders who want nothing but pure, solid performance.
- The solid aluminum construction of the bike stem is good and rigid.
- The product comes in a variety of choices for the rider’s ease and comfort.
- It comes with a black finish.
- The product has a rigid and light construction for superb stability and control.
- There is a decent set of options to choose.
- It has a fresh look which will provide satisfaction for many bikers.
- The product comes with only one option for angle adjustments.
The Easton Haven 35 Stem (35 0-degree 70mm) is a nice choice for riders who want a decent performance for their money. We recommend that you check it out for yourself.
Go to this link for complete information.
How to Choose the Best Mountain Bike Stem: Things to Look Out for
Before we leave, we would like talk about some pretty important things. Without considering these crucial factors, you may end up with a wrong choice.
Previously, we provided some very relevant information to the rider which would help him make the right thing. But the things we are about to discuss here will be a bit more in-depth. The sole purpose of this segment is to help the buyer consider his options and buy the best mountain bike stem him or she can find.
Before starting anything, consider having a look at your budget. You just can’t go to a store and buy something. Consider your budget. It will root out some additional or rather unnecessary options.
Personal comfort is the main thing to look out for; if the stem for your mountain bike does not suit your needs, it is most likely that you won’t be using it in future, which is a waste.
Length & Rise
Now let’s talk about the important bits. Consider the length and rise of your stem very carefully. It can make or break your day.We will make this very easy for the buyer to understand.
A short length stem will be more efficient when the rider is on a descent. Shorter lengths are preferable for better handling. For a rider who is coming down the terrain, a short lengthed stem will be a better choice.
But for ascending a rough terrain, stem length should be longer. It does make the steering a bit harder but increases the overall comfort while riding upwards, as the rider can shift his weight on the front axle quite easily.
Angle of Stem
The stem angle or rise is another important factor to have a look. Checking the saddle height and position is the priority here.
The stem rise can either make your hands feel comfortable or make the wind resistance a small issue. It depends on the angle of the stem. It depends solely on the rider to choose the sweet spot between comfort and performance.
Choosing the handlebars is not that tough of a task. 31.8mm has now become the standard. You now have 2-bolt and 4-bolt options. 4-bolt assemblies are a bit stiffer and stronger. Again, it is a decision for the rider to make.
If you consider these things and make careful choices then congratulations! You have made the right choice.
Our review for the best mountain bike stem comes to an end. We hope that we provided some essential information for the riders who can now choose the best item for superior performance.
With these words, we bid you good bye. Have a nice ride!