Best Road Bike Wheels Under 500
Riding a bike has become quite a trend in the US, which is quite notable these days. So, it is natural that the people are much more concerned about what they are getting. So, now comes the question about getting a solid set of wheels for your bike. The best road bike wheels under 500 that you are looking for may be a hassle for you. But rest assured, we are here to help you make the right choice.
You may be satisfied with the set of wheels that came with your bike. But they may become a headache once they have reached their limits.
It is often a tough decision to find out the correct set of wheels to cater to your needs. Even if you have made up your mind, the pricing may not be suitable to your taste. There are a lot of options to choose from, and it can be quite challenging sometimes to come up with the right choice.
As we have mentioned earlier, we are here to sort out the best set of bike wheels for your needs. The products showcased here are the results of our extensive research. We have skimmed through a large number of products and chose the best among the lot. Experts have had a profound influence in selecting these products. So, we are quite sure that you will find this unbiased review very helpful indeed.
So, let us jump in!
Buying Road Bike Wheels: Do You Need an Upgrade?
Most riders tend to change the bike’s wheels before anything else. There is a particular reason for this.
Most manufacturing companies have a secret policy. What they do is that they usually do not put a lot of effort in producing the wheels. So, most of the time the wheels do not have that prominent feeling.
So, it is quite mandatory that you need to get an upgrade. It can be now, or it can sometimes be in the future.
Upgrading the wheel set will boost your bikes performance by a great deal. You will have much more flexibility, superior handling, and performance from your bike. So, we highly recommend that you upgrade from your existing stock wheels.
Bike Wheel: An In-depth Look
If you want to improve your bikes performance, you need to upgrade to a new and better set of wheels. To choose the best set of wheels possible, you need to have sufficient knowledge about the parts that make a bike’s wheel. Here is an in-depth breakdown about the wheels of a bike.
- Hub: This part of a wheel is responsible for carrying the load of your bike. The wheel spins around it. The hub contains the bike axle, which attaches the wheels to your bike.
- Spokes: These are elongated wire assemblies that connect the hub to the rim of the wheel.
- Nipple: This is the part (a small nut, to be precise) where the spokes are connected. By adjusting the force on the nipple, the wheel can be straightened out.
- Rim: It is the outermost part of the wheel that holds the tire.
These are essential parts of a bike wheel. These things will help you make a better decision while choosing the best set of wheels for your bike.
Before we begin our efforts to help you decide on buying the best bike wheels for 500, we would like to shed some light on a few key points for consideration. They are definitely worth the time. If you don’t know what you are getting, it is likely that you may get a mediocre performance for your money. So, before you put on your shopping gear and race to the shops, here are some things that you need to decide first.
Buying a Set of Wheels for Your Bike: Things to Consider
There are some things to put into consideration before you set out to buy wheels for your bike. These decisions will make or break the day, as results of your decisions will reveal themselves with the passing time. Luckily, we are here to help you with the choices that need to be made for the best purchase. Here are the points to be taken into consideration:
- The first question to ask yourself, which type of a rider are you? Are you going for something a bit racey and aerodynamic, or are you just a casual rider? This will help you to eliminate unnecessary choices and help narrow down your search.
- The tire type is something that needs attention. The most common type of tires found on road bikes are clinchers. Tubular and tubeless tires are becoming popular with each passing day due to their robust and reliable performance.
- Choosing what type of material you want for your rims is crucial. Most rims are made out of Aluminium, which is the obvious choice in most cases. But carbon fiber rims are becoming popular for lower weight and increased performance.
- Axle size, rim width, wheel diameter are some of the key features to look out for. If any of these measurements are incorrect, you may be facing problems with your purchase.
- Braking mechanisms should also be considered with caution. Whether its rim brake or disk brake, it should be chosen according to your needs.
These are the few most important things you need to check out. It is now time for our review of the best road bike wheels under 500.
BEST BIKE WHEELS UNDER 500: COMPARISON LIST
The table shown will help you make a better choice when choosing a product. Have a look at the product reviews for a better look at the products.
BEST BIKE WHEELS UNDER 500: PRODUCT REVIEW
1 OF 10
The wheels offer great riding experience. As we have mentioned earlier, its durability and lightweight construction have helped it made its way into our top ten best road bike wheels under 500.
- The 700C wheels are aerodynamic and lightweight (867g front and 1154g rear), perfect for daily use.
- Skilled professionals have done stress release and tension administration.
- Double walled rims with sealed bearings.
- Radial patterned spokes on aero bladed nipples with precision drilling.
- They are capable of working with 7 to 10-speed cassettes.
- They have extremely low bearing friction. It allows smooth performance.
- The build quality is top-notch.
- Spoke assembly offers greater strength and flexibility.
- The wheels complement the bike with great aesthetics.
- The rim assembly sometimes causes the punctures holes into the tubes.
- The spoke count of the wheel is standard, but not quite enough to support riders with a healthy physique.
Vuelta XRP Pro 700c Road Bike Wheel Set allows the rider to have a great experience with his bike. The wheels have more excellent features than criticisms. We would recommend it for those who constantly use their rides for both work and enjoyment.Check Latest Price
2 OF 10
The wheels come in a variety of colors. The Pure Fix wheels are jam packed with performance offering a fair experience.
- The 700C wheels are aerodynamic and lightweight. The solid rim has a 40mm depth for top-notch execution.
- The spoke count is fair and offers great balance.
- These wheels are ideal for single speed riding with their 16T fixed and freewheel cogs.
- Nylon rim-strips are there for protection against accidental punctures.
- The wheels are well-suited for stylish set-ups. Regarding aesthetics, it is a relatively good choice.
- The wheels have excellent protection against punctures.
- The joints near the rim extrusions are not well built.
- Not quite suitable for multi-speed rides.
There are some obvious flaws to these wheel sets, but they are rare. Apart from this, the bike wheels feel premium. The added looks are a great addition for any rider. With its cool aesthetic looks and excellent build, it is recommended that you take a look at this product.Check Latest Price
3 OF 10
They are the first in line for expert riders who need a well-constructed set of wheels for daily use.
The wheels do not disappoint when it comes to providing a smooth and strong experience.
- These wheels are solid, and quality materials have been used to offer a robust experience.
- The alloy front has loose bearings to provide smooth riding experience.
- Stainless Steel spokes offer good support for the rims.
- The quick release axle is a bonus for the rider for solid feel.
- It is a solid choice for day-to-day use.
- The choice of materials is top quality, making it an obvious choice for expert riders.
- It offers good braking surface. It allows good control over the bike.
- The axle isn’t put together quite well. It may need some greasing for the riders comfort.
- The braking mechanism feels solid, but may eventually damage the rim due to the hard surface.
- The wheels, if not properly installed, feel cheap and wobbly.
The Sta-Tru Silver Alloy Hub Front Wheels offer a great experience for expert riders. In spite of the drawbacks, it has made its way into our list due to its lightweight and robust construction. We would recommend it for you.Check Latest Price
4 0F 10
These well-built, low-profile rims are quite the contenders for our top-ten list. They offer a smooth ride with solid control.
- The wheels come with solid construction. Their lightweight and aerodynamic profile are praise-worthy.
- The 700C aluminum alloy rims come with Shimano Claris HB 2400 Hubs, which offer balanced control over the ride.
- The rims have a decent SS spoke count which provides an excellent foundation for the wheel.
- The rim extrusions are connected via pins for better performance.
- They come with free continental tires.
- The wheel set comes with ball bearings that can be maintained quite easily.
- The product has great braking surface for robust control.
- This product is compatible with up to 10-speed cassettes.
- It offers long lasting service.
- The wheels are a bit on the heavier side. It may cause inconvenience for some riders.
We did mention previously that this product is solid and lightweight. Our words hold very true. The product is well worth the look and is highly recommended.Check Latest Price
5 OF 10
Sta-Tru Silver Alloy ATB 6-7 Speed Freewheel Hub Quick Release Rear Wheel is a solid choice for expert riders. The Sta-Tru brand again makes an entry in our top 10 because it is strong and sturdy. This product is built to last.
The Sta-Tru brand again makes an entry in our top 10 because it is strong and sturdy. This product is built to last.
- The product has solid construction and is quite dependable.
- The UCP spokes are durable and robust. They offer a solid foundation for the rims.
- The free-wheel loose bearing hub and bolt-on axle are extra added features for added smoothness.
- The wheel sets are real performers. These aluminum wheels are best suited for a long-term experience.
- The product has an overall solid construction.
- The spokes may need constant adjustments for long rides.
There is not much to say about this product, as its reputation says it all. For a reliable, daily riding bike, these set of wheels is very dependable. The strong set of rims is true to their construction.Check Latest Price
6 OF 10
Retrospec Bicycles Mantra Fixed-Gear/Single-Speed Wheelset with 700 x 25C Kenda Kwest Tires and Sealed Hubs
The rims add looks and performance to the bike as advertised. These set of wheels are meant for rough roads where you need something extra.
- These set of wheels are hand-built for longer lasting performance. Their lightweight and aerodynamic stature are quite note-worthy.
- The 43mm deep alloy V rims are double walled for top-notch performance.
- The Retrospec High-Flange Sealed Bearing Hubs offer smooth riding experience and require less maintenance.
- The included Kenda West tires offer a solid overall feel. (Water dispersion grooves added)
- The product is suitable for fixed-gear, single-speed, track bike, or road- bike.
- The sealed bearing hubs are a great addition for smooth and long-lasting performance.
- The 43mm star rims offer great stability for the rider.
- Included Kenda West tires have water grooves and added features for strong and smooth riding experience.
- The wheels have a good braking surface for better control.
- Tire assembly requires additional effort.
- Braking can sometimes be an annoyance.
The Bike comes with a decent set of specs but a few hiccups. Its performance is still top-quality according to our judgment.Check Latest Price
7 OF 10
The Vuelta series again makes its way into our top ten road wheels for cool aesthetics and robust performance. For an overall riding experience, the wheel set is a good choice.
- The Aluminium alloy rims have good build quality with aerodynamic SS spokes.
- The sealed bearing hubs and machined braking surface allow a smooth performance.
- The quick-release skewers and nylon-strips are added features for a lasting experience.
- The wheels are solid and have good balance.
- The wheels have very little bearing friction that adds a smooth experience.
- The wheels add good aesthetic elements to the bike.
- The weight of both wheels may be a bit on the higher side for some users.
The wheel set performs really well and adds a premium feeling overall. We recommend that you take some time to have a look at a decent product like this.Check Latest Price
8 OF 10
The cool aesthetics of the wheel set makes it a great choice for the riders who want both looks and performance.
- The product comes with a decent black satin finish.
- 24 aerodynamic spokes support the double walled rims.
- The Stainless Steel spokes come pre-tested to perfection.
- Vuelta bearing balls and nylon strips are present for additional assistance.
- The wheels have a decent build quality.
- Maintenance works are easy. No additional expertise required.
- The wheels are aerodynamic and lightweight. It feels really strong in spite of having a less spoke count.
- The provided braking surface should be stronger.
- The wheels have more friction than expected.
The Aeromax Alloy Wheelset Road Bike Comp 700c Wheels are complete performers. They are well built and have that premium feeling. In spite of having a few drawbacks, this is product worth having a look.Check Latest Price
9 OF 10
It is the only contender in our list having a carbon fiber build. These awesome looking clinchers are strong and efficient and have that premium feel.
- The 700C clinchers have that aerodynamic looks and feel. The Featherweight stature promises a very premium feeling.
- Comes with all the bonus features including alloy nipples, included brake pads and more. Included tires and speed cassettes offer great flexibility.
- The wheels are lightweight and aerodynamic. The products have that premium build quality.
- Lower spoke count yet solid foundation for the rims.
- Speed cassettes are true and solid.
- The product comes with a promise of delivering solid performance.
- The wheels may be a bit stiff for some riders.
This product is extremely reliable for those who want all the bell and whistles. We highly recommend this product for the enthusiasts who want a no-compromise product for their rides.Check Latest Price
10 OF 10
We have kept this product in our review for the best road bike wheels under 500 for the racing enthusiasts.
This lightweight racing product has an excellent set of features for your consideration.
- The ergonomic wheels are extremely well-suited for racers.
- The 700C Aluminium wheel set has rim depth of 23 millimeters and an external width of 20.8 millimeters.
- This product comes with strong axles capable of handling 10-speed ranges.
- It also features Stainless Steel spokes for better support.
- Perfect for riders who want tubeless wheels.
- The product is highly durable and well-suited for long term use.
- Lightweight and ergonomic design offer top-notch racing performance.
- Well-suited for regular use, not quite ideal for normal day-to-day use.
The Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 Road Wheelset is the right choice for all those racers out there. It has discrete and ergonomic profile second to none. A product like this is worthy of taking a look. For a racer, it is a viable choice.Check Latest Price
The products that we have reviewed have a specific purpose. Each product is superior in its fashion. But the ultimate decision is for the buyer to make.
Before we close this review, we would like to announce a few winners in their respective categories. We find these products worthy enough for your money. Of course, all the products listed here have their own merits and demerits. But there are some among the lot is worth a second look.
For the racing choice, the Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 Road Wheelset takes the cake for its ergonomics and race like performance.
For looks and aesthetics, we have a few contenders. The Pure Fix 700C 40mm Wheelset and Retrospec Bicycles Mantra Fixed-Gear/Single-Speed Wheelset are the top contenders in this case.
The best all-around performer here is the Superteam Carbon Fiber Road Bike Wheels 700C Clincher Wheelset. It adds a good riding feeling and adds aesthetics to the bike as well.
In spite of the honorable mentions, all the products mentioned here are solid contenders for the best bike wheels under 500. All the goods are well built and worth considering. But in the end, we can only recommend. The rider is the one who needs to make the final decision.
It is time to end the review and wishes good luck to our readers. Happy riding!